We are exposed to an ever increasing array of toxic chemicals which have a profound impact on our overall health. Whether it is the food we eat, the beverages we drink, the air we breath, the car we drive, or even the basic household products that we use everyday, it is virtually impossible to avoid the toxins in our environment. According to the Environmental Working Group, approximately 2.5 billion tons of chemical pollutants are released in to the environment annually. While our liver has the natural ability to release small amounts of toxic agents through waste (detoxification), excessive exposure to these toxins can force the liver into ‘over-drive’, preventing it from being able to function properly and turning our bodies in to ‘toxic waste sites’.
Detoxification can be defined by 2 phases. Phase 1 takes a fat soluble toxin and makes it bit more water soluble. Phase 2 completes the water solubility process, which allows the body to get rid of it by excretion. Think of it this way: Phase 1 is you taking the garbage out to the curb. Phase 2 is the garbage man coming by to pick it up. Imagine what a malodorous and unsightly situation it would be if that garbage man neglected to ever come by! Likewise, if you have a lot of Phase 1 metabolites that are produced, and it’s not swept away with Phase 2, your body will experience oxidative stress. This can create a multitude of health issues including, autoimmune disorders, inflammation, organ failure, cancer, heart disease, anemia, and other blood disorders, just to name a few.
Simply put, there are times when your liver may not be able to work as effectively on its own and may require some help during the process. We are all unique in our ability to detoxify via Phase 1 and Phase 2.
I look at detoxification as being full time work. It has become part of my lifestyle and critical to helping me maintain a clean and healthy foundation. I would like to provide you with a few tips as to how to protect your liver and help it to function more efficiently:
Diet: Limit processed food, sugar, flour, soy, non-organic corn, milk proteins, refined salt, & avoid artificial sweeteners. If you are going to eat animal proteins, it is best to ingest organic sources. A non-organic chicken breast or steak can contain many toxic items including pesticides, antibiotics, and synthetic hormones. I also encourage you to include 4-6 servings of organic vegetables daily.
Hydration: Drink plenty of clean water! Maintaining adequate hydration is important as it lowers the concentration of toxic substances in your body. Hydration helps to bring nutrients to the lymph system, liver, and kidneys which aids in the detoxification process, as well. A quick estimate as to how much water you should drink: Take your weight in lbs and divide by 2. This is the daily average amount of water you should drink in ounces.
Supplements: Ensuring that your liver has the adequate levels of nutrients will allow it to function optimally. This is a simple supplements program for detoxification that I have personally used as a part of my regimen:
– Total Liver Care (T.L.C) by PureZen Health– Total Liver Care is a Phase 1/Phase 2 product that does a great job of balancing out your detoxification. It provides the liver with nutritional balance and optimizes its detoxification capability. Adding ½ to 1 full scoop to your favorite smoothie, or even blended with crushed ice every evening, makes a delicious daily nutrition drink.
– Alpha Lipoic Acid by PureZen Health– This is a multi-function anti-oxidant that is effective in the detoxification of mercury, lead and other heavy metals. It also helps keep other anti-oxidants in their reduced state. I have found that Alpha Lipoic Acid works well for those who may be experiencing inflammatory issues, as well. For those of you who are experiencing inflammation, you may take 1 capsule along with your Total Liver Care detoxification drink.
– MSM-1000 by PureZen Health– Methyl sufonylmethane, otherwise known as ‘MSM’ is a sulphur source, which is very important in terms of blood flow for detoxification and may also benefit those who have joint issues. Coupled with Alpha Lipoic Acid and Total Liver Care, you may also add 1 capsule of MSM.
If you want to learn more about detoxification here are a list of resources below:
- Lecture DVD ‘The Importance of Detoxification’ by Dr Richard Ng
- FREE download of Dr. Brownstein’s monthly newsletter, ‘Natural Way to Health- How to Stop Environmental Toxins From Poisoning You’
- Learn about Dr Ng’s Detoxification Packages:
Want to make to make that first step towards better health? Join me to hear my lecture, ‘Detoxification: Make The Shift To Peak Vitality!’ on Saturday, June 20th, 2015, from 10am-12pm at the Troy Community Center in Troy, Michigan! Let’s do this together! To learn more click on the link: Dr Ng’s Detox Lecture
A final note: ‘If you are not optimum, you will be recycled earlier than desired!’ – Dr. Richard Ng